Vehicle Registration Renewal Service

The Vehicle Registration Renewal Service allows the public to renew registrations for vehicles in the state of Montana.


If any of the following conditions apply, you will need to contact your County Treasurer's Office to renew with your vehicle registration instead of renewing online.
  • Your name or address changed, you moved to a different county, or you no longer live in Montana.
  • You now qualify for an exemption (e.g., military, tribal) that is not reflected on your registration renewal notice. You will be required to show proof of eligibility to receive the benefit of the exemption.
  • You want to change your registration period, request a new license plate, or adjust your vehicle's GVW.

Providing Additional Documents

Specific situations require renewal customers to provide supporting documents when completing their renewal process online or in person.

The following situations require supporting documents. When renewing online, you may submit those documents electronically.
  • You qualify for an exemption.
  • You are renewing registration for a commercial vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 or more (e.g., trucks, truck tractors, and buses) used on public highways.
  • You display a license plate type that requires recertification.
  • You are a non-resident working in Montana.
  • You are renewing registration of special mobile equipment.

For more information on acceptable documentation, visit

Service Fee

This service is provided by a third party working in partnership with the State of Montana and an additional fee is assessed for utilizing this service. The service fee includes electronic payment processing fees as well as funds to develop, maintain, and enhance this service. Fees may be paid by credit card or electronic check.

Begin Renewal Print Your Receipt